DeWitt Public Schools provides busing to students to and from school on pre-determined routes that abide with all state laws. The district conducts a two-tiered bus schedule, with buses running two morning routes (secondary and elementary) and two afternoon routes (secondary and elementary).
Bus Route Information
Information regarding bus routes and times will be available on the Infinite Campus Portal starting Monday, August 21, 2017. If the information shown is incorrect please call 517-668-3028 or email.
Bus Rules for Students
- Safety for all students is our priority when transporting students. The following rules, although not all inclusive, have been established to maintain order, safety and well-being for all.
- Follow all bus driver's directions
- Sit facing front
- Classroom behavior is expected
- Talk quietly; be respectful of others
- Beverages, food, candy and chewing gum are not allowed on the bus
- Do not throw items on or out of the bus
- Aisles must be clear at all times
- All items must be in backpack/bag, and be held on your lap, including band instruments: large or fragile items are not appropriate for bus transportation; balls need to be in a bag or container
- Do not write on or damage seats
- Any behavior that distracts the driver will be cause for discipline
- Electronic devices are a privilege---not a right. Inappropriate use may result in loss of that privilege: no video recording, sound recording, or picture taking will be allowed; sounds must be muted or turned off; and drivers shall remove a device that is not being used appropriately
- DeWitt Public Schools policy for tobacco, alcohol, weapons, illegal substance/materials is enforceable on the school buses
- Students may ride only their scheduled bus and get on and off at their scheduled bus stop.
Bus /Schedule Route Change
ANY change to your student's school bus transportation must be in writing. Please complete the Transportation Schedule form.
During Summer Break: bring the completed form to Central Office for a change in address. If you are changing daycare, complete the form and fax directly to transportation, 517-668-3027.
When school is in session:
- Forward to your student's building(s)
- A separate form is required for each student
- After changes are made at the building level, the form will be forwarded to Transportation
- Updates to bus schedule will be made and parents notified
- Please allow five (5) business days for processing
Yellow Means SLOW - Red Means NO
Seeing those familiar yellow school buses signals students are on the move. Safety is the goal as DeWitt Public Schools transports nearly 3000 students to and from school. Review the following information so that you are "in-the-know" in regard to stopped school buses.
Yellow Hazard Light Bus Stop
When you see school buses pulling to the right side of the roadway with its yellow hazard lights (located at the bottom of the windows in the front and back of the bus), drivers can proceed with caution around the bus. The yellow hazard lights are NOT used when students have to cross the street.
Red Flashing Light Bus Stop
The yellow overhead flashing lights signal to motorists that the bus is preparing to stop using the overhead red flashing lights. This is the school bus stop that buses have always made with overhead red flashing lights in the front and back of the school bus accompanied by a stop sign that is extended from the driver's side of the school bus. This means to stop, wait until students have entered or exited the bus, and until the red flashing lights cease. It is unlawful for drivers to pass school buses with red flashing lights on.
Bus drivers do report motorists who choose to pass the bus when the red overhead lights are flashing. It is part of their job and responsibility to report any traffic code violations that may endanger children. Parents rely on us to transport their children safely and we take our job seriously.